Shtern M., Kuzmov A.
Frantsevich Institute for Problems of Materials Science NASU, Kyiv, Ukraine (
Abstract. The purpose of this work was research of the main features of behavior of the porous and damaged powder based materials at indentation process. The mechanical behavior of such materials is characterized by a loosening at purely shift tension and asymmetry of a response to stretching and compression.
The rheological model of plasticity of porous materials with imperfect interpartial contacts which was earlier proposed one of authors is considered. Based on such theory of plasticity for porous media with distributed damages using finite element computer simulation the deformed state near spherical and conical indenter for different mechanical properties of indented material and different friction conditions between indenter and porous body has been studied.
Porosity distribution near indenter depending on properties of porous body and friction conditions between indenter and porous body has been analyzed. Load profiles as a function of dilatancy tendency and contact friction has been shown. Development of bulk around indenter and its shape has been investigated.
Keywords: indentation, plasticity of compressible continuum, spherical indenter, dilatancy
1. Hertz H. Gesammelte Werke, т. 1, стр. 179-195, 1895.
2. Lur'e A.I. Prostranstvennye zadachi teorii uprugosti. Moscow: GTTI, 1955. 408 p.
3. Sneddon I.N. The relationship between load and penetration in the axisymmetric Boussinesq problem for a punch of arbitrary profile. Int. J. Engin. Sci. 1965. V. 3. No 1. P. 47-57
4. Oliver W.C., Pharr G.M. An improved technique for determining hardness and elastic modulus using load and displacement sensing indentation experiments. J. Mater. Res. 1992. V. 7. No 6. P. 1564-1583
5. Oliver W.C., Pharr G.M. Measurment of hardness and elastic modulus by instrumented indentation: Advances in understanding and refinements to methodology. J. Mater. Res. 2004. V. 19. No 1. P. 3-20
6. Field J.S., Swain M.W. A Simple Predictive Model for Spherical Indentation. J. Mater. Res. 1993. V. 8. P. 297-306
7. Field J.S., Swain M.W. Determining the mechanical properties of small volumes of material from submicrometer spherical indentations. J. Mater. Res. 1995. V. 10. No 1. P. 101-112
8. Galanov B.A., Grigor'ev O.N., Mil'man Ju.V., Ragozin I.P. Opredelenie tverdosti i modulja Junga po glubine vnedrenija piramidal'nogo indentora. Problemy prochnosti. 1983. No 11. S. 93-96.
9. Milman Yu.V., Galanov B.A., Chugunova S.I. Plasticity characteristic obtained through hardness measurement. Overview 107. Acta Metall. Mater. 1993. V. 41. No 9. P. 2523-2532
10. Galanov B.A., Mil'man Ju.V., Chugunova S.I., Goncharova I.V. Issledovanie mehanicheskih svojstv vysokotverdyh materialov metodom indentirovanija. Sverhtverdye materialy. 1999. No 3. P. 25-38.
11. Kogut L., Komvopoulus R. Analysis of the sphericfl indentation cycle for elastic-perfectly plastic solid. J. Mater. Res. 2004. V. 19. No 12. P. 3641-3653
12. Dub S., Novikov N. Milman Y. The transition from elastic to plastic behavior in an Al-Cu-Fe quasicrystal studied be cyclic nanoindentation. Phil. Mag. 2002. V. 82. P. 2161-2172
13. Antunes J.M., Fernandes J.V., Menezes L.F. A new approach for reverse analyses in depth-sensing indentation using numerical simulation. Acta Mater. 2007. V. 55. P. 69-81
14. Ma D., Ong C.V., Wong S.F., He J.J. New method for determining Young`s modulus by non-ideally sharp indentation. J. Mater. Res. 2005. V. 20. P. 1498-1506
15. Venckatesh T.A., Van Vliet K.J., Gianncoponlos A.E., Suresh S. Determination of elasto-plastic properties de instrumented sharp indentation: guidelines for property extraction. Scripta. Mater. 2000. V. 42. No 9. P. 833-839
16. Li M., Chen W.M., Liang N.-G., Wang L.D. A numerical study of indentation using indenters of different geometry. J. Mater. Res. 2004. V. 19. No 1. P. 73-78
17. Sreeranganathan A., Golhale A., Tamirisakandala S. Determination of local constitutive properties of titanium alloy matrix in boron-modified titanium alloy using spherical indentations. Scripta. Mater. 2008. V. 58. No 1. P. 114-117
18. Skorohod V.V., Reologicheskie osnovy teorii spekanija. Kyiv, Nauk. Dumka, 1972. 151 p.
19. Shtern M.B. Razvitie teorii pressovanija poroshkov i teorii plastichnosti poristyh tel. Poroshkovaja metallurgija No9. 1992