Kryshchuk M., Orynyak A.
The National Technical University of Ukraine "Kyiv Polytechnic Institute", Kyiv, Ukraine (
RATIONALE METHODOLOGIES CALCULATING ref σ FOR THROUGH-WALL CRACKED PIPES LOAD BY COMBINATIONFORCE, BENDING MOMENT AND PRESSURE. PART:I
Abstract. The main element of the pipeline construction is a pipe. In this article the case of tubes with continuous circular crack in different sizes with different ratio of the average radius to the thickness of the pipe wall. The feature works that distinguishes it from existing approaches, is to consider the combined load of pressure, force and transverse moment, which corresponds to practical needs. The paper disclosed the evolution of current methods to breakdown and the analysis of existing methods of determining the limit load. Particular attention is paid to Abaqus v.6.11 software (Licence of Freiburg University “IWM”) built on the theory of finite elements and the comparison of theoretical methods with numerical methods. Great attention should be paid directly to a review of theoretical methods. We give a reasoned analysis and highlighted some significant advantages over other methods.
Keywords: through-wall cracked pipe, leak before break, limit load, reference stress.
1. Folias ES. A circumferential crack in a pressurized cylindrical shell. Int J Fract Mech 1967; 3: 1-11p.
2. Paris PC, Tada H. The application of fracture-proof design methods using tearing-instability theory to nuclear piping postulating circumferential through-wall cracks. NUREG/CR-3464; 1983
3. Sim, R.G. (1968) Creep of structures, PhD Dissertation, University of Cambridge, UK
4. Ainsworth R.A. The assessment of defects in structures of strain hardening material. Engng Fract. Mech. 1984.- V.19 . PP. 633-642
5. O dvukriterial'nom podhode k ocenke predel'noj nesuwej sposobnosti tela s trewinoj. Krasovskij A.J.,MahutovN.A., Orynjak I.V., Torop V.M. Probl. mashinostr. i avtomat. 1992, no.4,5, p.92-100 (About the two-criterial going near the estimation of maximum bearing strength of body with a crack. Krasovskiy A.Y., Makhutov n.a., Orynyak I.v., Torop V.M. Probl. mashinostr. and automat. 1992. no 4-5. pp. 92-100)
6. Anderson R.V., Sullivan T.L. Fracture mechanics of through cracked cylindrical pressure vessels. NACA. TN D-3252, 1966
7. Andrade, E. Q. and Benjamin, A. C., 2004 “Structural Evaluation of Corrosion Defects in Pipelines: Comparison of FE Analyses and Assessment Methods”, 14th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference, ISOPE 2004, pp. 120-127 , May 2004
8. Yun-Jae Kim, Nam-Su Huh, Yong-Jin Kim. Reference stress based elastic-plastic fracture analysis for circumferential through-wall cracked pipes under combined tension and bending. Engineering Fracture Mechanics. 2002. 367-388:69
9. American Petroleum Institute API 579, Recommended Practice for Fitness for Service.
10. Orynjak I.V., Ageev S.M. “Raschet ref dlja poperechnyh defektov slozhnoj formy v trubah” Institut problem prochnosti im. G.S.Pisarenko NAN Ukrainy, Kiev, Ukraina. (Orynyak I.V., Ageev S.M. “Calculation for the transversal defects of difficult form in trubakh” Institute of problems of durability the name of G.S.Pisarenko NAN of Ukraine, Kiev, Ukraine.)
11. ABAQUS version 6.11 User’s manual. RI: Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorencen Inc. 2011
12. Fitness-for-Service FITNET. European Fitness-for-Service Network